Let's say you want to set up your multiple monitors, but maybe one of them isn't working, or your main window isn't on the right monitor, or the mouse is flowing in the wrong direction, or...
There's lots of ways to troubleshoot monitor setup issues - here's just a few to get you started.
First thing to check
Questions you might ask yourself:
- How do I extend my screen to all of my monitors?
- How do I duplicate one monitor screen on another monitor?
- How do I switch/arrange the screens that show up on my monitors?
- How do I move the Start menu and task bar to my other monitor?
- Go to your Desktop
- Right-click on your Desktop and select Display settings
- You'll see a window that looks similar to this:
- Click Identify and the corresponding numbers will show up on each of your screens to help you figure out which monitor you are arranging.
- Click and drag monitors 1 and 2 to re-arrange them to your preference (if you have a docking station, you might have a 3rd monitor option).
- Click Detect in case your computer hasn't yet recognized there's another monitor connected.
- Scroll down to see more options to Extend, Duplicate, or Disable your monitors.
- TIP: Move the Display settings window to the screen you want to set as your main display, then check the box for Make this my main display. Adjusting this setting will move the Start menu and task bar to your main display.
But my other monitor is just showing a black screen
If you can see that your monitor is plugged in, connected to your computer, laptop, or docking station, and is actually on, but the screen is display as black, you may have to tinker around with your monitor settings by pressing the physical buttons on your monitor (try to find the factory reset option). The Help Desk can't actually see those settings unless we're there in person, but we can get on the phone with you to try and help you out.
Alternatively, you can try:
- Open the Windows Start Menu at the bottom left of your screen.
- Start typing Project to a second screen, click on that option when it shows up. That show open an option on the right side of your screen with 4 options: PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, Second screen only. Select the desired option.
TIP: If you have an HP monitor, you can refer to page 26 of this HP Monitor manual.
Still can't resolve your monitor issue? Contact the Help Desk with detailed information about the issue you're having so we can help you out.