- Facilitate an audio/video call with a Commercial Skype user
- Add Commercial Skype users as Contacts in Skype for Business
Commercial Skype: What you might call regular/normal/free Skype.
Skype for Business: The version of Skype you use for work.
Facilitate an audio/video call with a Commercial Skype user
Scenario: You need to interview a candidate remotely.
The Easiest Method
The easiest way to facilitate an audio or video call with a Commercial Skype user is to send them a meeting invite with the Skype for Business meeting information in it (learn how to generate your Skype for Business meeting information here).
Emphasize that they should test ahead of time by clicking on the link to download the Skype for Business plug-in. Once they have the plug-in installed on their computer, they can do a normal audio/video call as long as they have a webcam.
The quality of the audio/video call will depend on their Internet/network connection.
The Other Method
Add the Commercial Skype user to your Skype for Business contacts (see next section below).
We don't recommend this method because:
- Commercial Skype users have to confirm your request, and frequently they don't do so.
- Video calling is not always available between regular Skype and Skype for Business users.
Add Commercial Skype users as Contacts in Skype for Business
If you want to IM/chat with Commercial Skype users:
- Click on the Add Users > Add a Contact not in my Organization > Skype
- Add the user's Skype username
- It doesn't always work with a full email: If they are a long time user of Skype and only have a username, they will need to migrate with Microsoft to get for a 'Microsoft style' email address such as one that ends with outlook.com or live.com.
- Once you add them, they will need to accept your Skype request and you will be able to chat with them.
- It is possible that Skype to Skype for Business interaction will not work by only adding the recipient from one end. You might have to have the recipient add you from their end as well, by searching for your email in the Skype directory.
To learn more about how to use Skype for Business, visit our guide here.