- You've just shared a OneDrive or SharePoint link with an external user from another organization, but they're having trouble accessing it.
- An external user from another organization has shared a OneDrive or SharePoint link with you and you are having trouble accessing it.
Note: If you are trying to share a link from a Teams document library, your Team must be guest-enabled or external users will not be able to view links shared with them.
Whoever is having trouble accessing the link - please try the following.
Open the link in an incognito or in-private browsing window
People will likely have a login conflict with another account that is logged in on their browser. Signing into a fresh incognito/in-private browsing window will resolve this issue most of the time.
- Right-click the link and copy the hyperlink.
- Open an incognito or private browsing window (if your web browser is pinned to your taskbar in a Windows environment, you can typically right-click the taskbar icon, then select to open in an incognito or private browsing window).
- In the URL or search bar, paste the hyperlink and go to it.
- If you are prompted to log in:
- If you have an existing Microsoft account associated with the email the link was shared with, then you will be prompted to sign in with those existing account credentials.
- If you do not have an existing Microsoft account associated with the email the link was shared with, then you will be prompted to sign in with a one-time passcode sent to that same email address.
- If you are prompted to set up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA):
- Upon the first time accessing a link from this organization, you may be asked to register for MFA, even if you already have it set up. Set it up again when prompted. The process will look like steps 3-10 in this guide.
- When accessing the link(s) in the future, you will be prompted to log in, then approve the MFA notification to access to the link.
Please remember to always access these third party links in an incognito/in-private browser window for the best performance.
If you run into any additional issues, or have any other questions, please do not hesitate to open a ticket with the CTD Help Desk and include the following information:
- The original hyperlink shared with you
- A full window screenshot of the error
- Detail the steps you took to get to the error
- Any additional screenshots